Consultants appreciate SIPROTEC 5 protection relays for their very logical and systematic approach to settings, the incredible flexibility in protection function choices, and the support for multiple CT, VT, network and arc protection interfaces. For example the 7UT85 Transformer Protection relay in addition to differential and REF protection, can also be used as your tap changer controller, provide arc protection for the LV cable termination chamber, include backup impedance protection, all while being one-end of a line differential scheme.
Network operators appreciate SIPROTEC relays as once installed, their reliability and infrequent firmware patches means they can simply be taken for granted (other than the scheduled maintenance tests for your own peace of mind).
So what about your Commissioning Staff mentioned in the heading for this newsletter item? They will love the SIPROTEC 5 relay too - for its suite of very useful commissioning tools. These include:
- One software tool (DIGSI 5) for all commissioning needs
- Powerful setting comparison tool
- Time saving wire checking functions. A simple function allows you to monitor binary inputs and exercise relay outputs
- Circuit breaker and other controlled device test screens
- Handy commissioning tools providing display screens of voltage/current inputs (phasor and magnitude). For relays connected via Protection Data Interfaces (e.g. Line Differential relays) you can see the remote end current/voltage/phasors
- Offline simulation – great for bench testing as you can simulate an input current/voltage – without need for a test set
- Show the operating point. See a graph of the tripping curve – with an indication showing the present operating point
- Live logic diagram. Display a diagram of the user defined logic, and observe the logic status levels (high/low etc) live – this dramatically simplifies proving or fault-finding logic issues
- SCADA testing – force any SCADA output, dramatically speeding your SCADA point testing
- Useful event and process logs, record what is going on in the relay
- Powerful web interface – connect into the relay to see on your laptop screen with a browser to see what is going on (v7.8 onwards offers the most features)
DIGSI 5 commissioning tools