HV Power has proudly been supplying and supporting A.Eberle Voltage Regulator relays in New Zealand since the first customer project in November 1998. Therefore there are REG-Ds which will be in their 19th year of service! The first REG-DAs were supplied in 2004, so those would now be in their 14th year of service.
Therefore the earliest REG-D units should have had their third battery replacement done by now, and the earliest REG-DAs should have had their second battery replacement done. Question: are the battery maintenance requirements for the REG-Ds and REG-DAs on your network up-to-date?
The issue is that in the earliest generation of hardware the battery was used to maintain settings. If the battery becomes flat over time and the device is powered down – goodbye settings. This subject has been a regular topic of our newsletters over the years, so should be familiar to many. However, we last covered this in 2015. That date came to light recently following some research for a person who experienced what happens when information is forgotten or not passed on.
Our recommendation: put a label on the voltage regulator.
Example label for pre-2014 voltage regulators.
The good news is that:
- REG-D and REG-DA units manufactured from about 2004 onwards can make use of a handy feature in the V2.12 Bootloader. The ‘RAM backup’ feature allows a copy of the setting file to be copied into non-volatile memory from where it can be recalled (automatically on power-up with firmware V2.22 onwards).
Refer to our June 2014 newsletter item on ‘RAM backup’ for more information and, the ‘Backup and Restore’ document in our Technical Library for instructions on how to install this bootloader. The REG-D/DA still uses the battery for logs etc, so we recommend this battery is replaced every 6-10 years. We recommend you monitor the battery status SCADA point to warn when replacement is required in the future.
- For the latest generation of hardware, the settings are backed-up by non-volatile memory. There is no longer a battery on these units (and therefore bootloader RAM-Backup function is not provided). These latest generation units are:
- REG-D units with MRAM (manufactured from 5/2014)
- REG-D unit with S2 processor (manufactured from 9/2013)
- REG-DA units with MRAM (manufactured from 8/2014)
- REG-DA unit with S2 processor (manufactured from 9/2013)
HV Power stock the different battery types for all REG-D and REG-DAs (there are a couple of different versions). Contact us now for pricing and assistance.
Typically the first four digits of the serial number on the Voltage Regulator provide the date of manufacture in the form YYMM. HV Power also keeps records of all products we supply, so contact us if a report on when products were supplied to your network would be helpful.