We believe this configuration is worth repeating. Initially detailed in our November newsletter, but since renamed, the 'NTS 03-G+' 4-Port NTP & 6 IRIG-B output clock is now shipping.
Traditionally, substation devices have used IRIG-B time protocols whereas IT equipment has used NTP protocols and GPS clocks have been designed with the needs of one or the other in mind. With modern protection relays using IP communication networks, there is an increasing demand for NTP and IRIG-B within the substation
Tekron NTS 03-G+ with new expansion port
The NTS 03-G+ series has a variety of outputs covering most modern substation applications. With the new expansion option the NTS 03-G+ offers:
- 1 x USB interface for local setup
- 4 x Ethernet interfaces (one is copper, but the other three can be spec’d as copper or ST fibre)
- 2 x BNC connectors with IRIG-B (switchable between 0-5 V DCLS or 8 V AM-IRIG-B)
- 4 x Programmable outputs:
- 4 x ST fibre outputs, or
- 4 x 0-5 V programmable outputs (BNC connectors) - ideal for DCLS IRIG-B or pulse-per-second applications
- Option for PTP protocol
This configuration allows (for example):
- One Ethernet Interface to be reserved for Remote Engineering Interface
- Three other Ethernet Interfaces to be set up as NTP servers, providing IEC 61850 devices with primary, secondary and tertiary NTP sources.
- AM-IRIG-B outputs to selected IEDs
- DCLS IRIG-B outputs to selected IEDs
- Pulse per second output to selected IEDs
- Other needs may be provided by use of Isolated Timing Repeaters (for example, Fibre time signal output, HV switched MOSFET output etc), or with PTP protocol and PTP Translator, serial string output
The NTS 03-G+ also features an option for a second power supply. The second power supply can be an alternative voltage, allowing the device to be powered from (for example) the 110 Vdc substation supply and the 48 Vdc comms supply. An IEC 320 power socket for 230 Vac applications is available for UPS-backed-up SCADA/control room environments.
All this - equipped with a quality long-life outdoor antenna and quality antenna cable – for under NZ$6,500 (configuration-specific). This latest release hits the sweet spot of features, performance and price for the typical New Zealand lines company.
Tekron - New Zealand-designed and manufactured, with a 10-year warranty and the highest level of support!
Download the datasheet.